Here is a list of talks I’ve given. If you’d like, you can return to my homepage.
- National Labor and Management Conference, 2019. On the importance of collective memory to the labor movement.
- New York University, 2017. On receiving the Debra E. Bernhardt Labor Journalism Award from Labor Arts and the New York Labor History Association.
- Frostburg State University, 2015. Author reading; salon talk on John Coltrane.
- Northeastern Vermont Correctional Facility, 2013. On earning a diploma in prison.
- Vermont American Civil Liberties Union, Annual Meeting, 2012. On privacy rights.
- Institute of Noise Control Engineering, “Inter-Noise 2012.” On noise and social justice.
- Vermont Humanities Council lecture series, 2012. On the fallacy of a post-privacy age.
- University of Vermont, 2010. On the political meaning of noise.
- Colgate University, 2007. On climate change; on “organized religion”; author reading.
- Davis-Elkins College, 2006. On economic justice in the biblical tradition.
- Dartmouth Medical School, 2006. On midwifery and metaphor.
- Smith College, 2005. On the universal moral dilemmas revealed in teaching
- Duke University, 2004. On altruism and vocation.
- Boston University, 2004. On the ethics and character of a helper.
- Calvin College (Wiersma Memorial Lecture), 2003. On religion and writing.
- Franklin Central Supervisory Union, 2003. On literacy.
- Dartmouth College, 2002. On what teachers can learn from their students.
- University of the South at Sewanee, 2002. On vocational discernment.
- University of Vermont, 2002. On the importance of place.
- Warren Wilson College, 2001. On environmentalism as a resistance movement.
- Vermont Council of Teachers of English, 1999. On asking “Do we have to learn this?”
- Bangor Theological Seminary, 1995. On the tension between domesticity and service.
- Dartmouth College, 1990. On the teacher as “immigrant” to the professional class.
- Kenyon College, 1989. On several metaphors for a working life.
Return to my homepage.